Monday, May 1, 2017

Cup final wins for North End and Tombrack Wexford Women’s Cup Final
Ferns United               1          North End United       2
Despite the atrocious weather conditions, both these sides managed to produce a game that was more than worthy of a cup final. Although the rain never relented, the main pitch in Bunclody stood up to the test and both sides set into the game at a furious pace and although both sides chances to score early on, it was Ferns who took the lead on twenty one minutes when Mary O Neill sent the ball to the bottom of the corner of the net. Division One champion’s North End, did not allow this to deter them and they stuck to their task against arguably the best ever side to play in Wexford. It was twenty-five minutes into the second half before North End got their reward when top scorer Martina Pender shot to the net to bring the sides level. Ferns were still enjoying the lion’s share of the possession but were unable to break down a well marshalled opponents defence while North End always looked capable of scoring when the chance presented itself. The inevitable happened on ninety minutes when Martina Pender once again found herself in space to send the ball to the net for what proved to be the winning goal and bringing the Wexford Cup back to North End United for the first time. No amount of rain could dampen the celebrations from the Wexford town girls when referee Pat Sinnott eventually sounded the final whistle and the sportsmanship shown by the Ferns players and management is also to be commended. League Chairman Daire Doyle presented the cup to the victorious side while North End’s Aoife Tormey picked up the player of the match award

Division Three Cup Final
Tombrack United       5          Stoney LFC    2
Sunday morning’s torrential rain began when referee Philip McGrath blew the whistle to start this Division Three cup final between divisional champions Tombrack United and third placed Stoney. The rain did little to dampen the enthusiasm of both of these fully committed sides and although Stoney were had the chance to take the lead early in the game, it was Tombrack who raced into a 2-0 lead with goals from Shannon McGovern and Mary Boland. With the wind in their back, Stoney did apply pressure and were given a lifeline just before the break when Chloe Foxe slotted home a well taken penalty. Tombrack dominated the opening period of the second half and went 3-1 ahead when Sharon Walsh scored and the game looked over when Breda Cushen sent a thirty yard strike to the net with ten minutes to go. Stoney never gave up and with five minutes remaining Chloe Foxe sent a free kick to the net but it was Tombrack who had the final say when Mary Boland scored in the dying minutes to make it 5-2. League Chairman Daire Doyle presented the cup to a delighted Tombrack squad with their player Shannon McGovern collecting the player of the match award.

Women’s Division Two B
Wexford Bohs             5          Seaview United          0

Bohs completed their first season in the league with a 5-0 win over a depleted Seaview side and it’s a win that ensures the home team of their place in the division for next season. Aideen Byrne scored four with Noelia Toledo also finding the net

No comments:

Post a Comment